[Gloucs] VOIP *and* BT with Linksys SPA3102

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Tue Jan 8 14:30:19 GMT 2008

Andrew Oakley wrote:
> Geoff Bagley wrote:
>> Is anyone else using the Linksys SPA921 ?
> Apparently the missus has got me one for Christmas. I'll let you know

Ah, got my model numbers wrong. What I got for Christmas was an Linksys
SPA3102 ( http://tinyurl.com/2rjra3 ), which is a VOIP router and
analogue telephone adaptor.

In essence, this allows our normal existing BT household telephones to
make outbound calls using VOIP whilst still receiving incoming calls on
our normal BT line with our normal BT 01242 number. Result is a much
cheaper phone bill. It can also be configured to receive VOIP calls and
do much, much more.

Inspired by Chris' GlosLUG talk, I've written a HowTo for configuring
the SPA3102 on a BT line:

http://www.aoakley.com/articles/2008-01-08.php

All comments and corrections much appreciated.

The SPA3102 works, very well indeed. You really do just use normal
handsets and existing extension wiring, but pay a fraction of the
phonebill. Lovely.

The only way the wife knows she's using VOIP is that the call quality is
actually <I>better</I>!

--
Andrew Oakley