[Gloucs] A few thoughts on the GlosLUG and meetings

Glyn Davies glynd at walmore.com
Wed Jan 23 00:07:10 GMT 2008

'lo again.

I was thinking that it might be worth trying to get the LUG meetings
into the 'What's On' pages of the The Citizen and The Echo. Might (hmmm)
drum up a bit of interest and we could feel good about doing our bit of
evangelism. Anyone think this is a good or bad idea?

Secondly, given we don't do install days, I think it would be good if we
offered would be newbies the chance of the install day experience on one
of our monthly meetings. I'm not thinking of people dragging their
computers in but more demoing Linux perhaps with a live CD distro on a
laptop. I think this could be done in the kitchen area but would mean
(assuming a newbie should turn up) someone missing out on a talk. I'd be
happy to do this if others would join in too (i.e. so it wasn't always
me missing the talks). A rota maybe.

Thinking of those two ideas together, any newspaper add would have to
get newbies to the GlosLUG website to find out more. The way I imagine
it working is any newbie joining the mailing list and then requesting
the newbie session (i.e. give us a bit of warning).

I quickly mentioned this to Tony who was more in favour of scheduled,
full-on install days. That's fine with me if people step forward to
organise and manage them.

Any views on the above? Any alternative ideas? Do we need to do or wish
to do any of this 'reaching out'?

--
Best Regards
Glyn Davies