[Gloucs] A few thoughts on the GlosLUG and meetings

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 23 01:20:11 GMT 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 12:06:44AM +0000, Glyn Davies wrote:
> 'lo again.
>
> I was thinking that it might be worth trying to get the LUG meetings
> into the 'What's On' pages of the The Citizen and The Echo. Might (hmmm)
> drum up a bit of interest and we could feel good about doing our bit of
> evangelism. Anyone think this is a good or bad idea?

I'll do an install day - Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora all undertaken. I can
bring a full mirror - BUT - we need someone to give us some
space/tables, some mains, some networking - probably on a weekend.
You need public liability insurance - what happens when you drop the
server on someone's foot? You always need slightly more kit than you
think ...

> Secondly, given we don't do install days, I think it would be good if we
> offered would be newbies the chance of the install day experience on one
> of our monthly meetings. I'm not thinking of people dragging their
> computers in but more demoing Linux perhaps with a live CD distro on a
> laptop. I think this could be done in the kitchen area but would mean
> (assuming a newbie should turn up) someone missing out on a talk. I'd be
> happy to do this if others would join in too (i.e. so it wasn't always
> me missing the talks). A rota maybe.

I'll do this with a Knoppix or similar anytime. What's more fun is to do
similar at the local major computer store - offer to help the tech guys
troubleshoot which laptops will happily run Linux ...

> Thinking of those two ideas together, any newspaper add would have to
> get newbies to the GlosLUG website to find out more. The way I imagine
> it working is any newbie joining the mailing list and then requesting
> the newbie session (i.e. give us a bit of warning).
>
> I quickly mentioned this to Tony who was more in favour of scheduled,
> full-on install days. That's fine with me if people step forward to
> organise and manage them.
>
> Any views on the above? Any alternative ideas? Do we need to do or wish
> to do any of this 'reaching out'?

Anybody fancy building network infrastructure and office systems for
charities and the non-profit sector? Pukka training for businesses?
Building servers for fun and profit - all these can be done by a LUG.

Anybody fancy running the equivalent of after school classes for
schoolchildren - given our membership, it shouldn't be hard to find
people who'll pass the CRB check :)

Those of us who are radio amateurs - an invite of the local radio clubs
to try out Linux?

Andy