[Gloucs] Help diagnose crash please? Suspected hard drive failure, but which drive?

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Wed Jan 30 10:37:45 GMT 2008

Can someone help me diagnose the following crash please?

http://aoakley.com/misc/crash-20080130.jpg

I strongly suspect that this means at least one of my four hard drives
has failed, but the question is, if so which one? I have two pairs of
RAID1 mirrors, both with ext3 filesystems (hence the kjournald errors, I
think).

Upon reboot, everything either works fine, or I see the hda1/hdc1 mirror
being rebuilt in /proc/mdstat , so my suspicion is on either hda or hdc.
The system then fails randomly in a similar manner in the next minutes
or hours.

I'm using Ubuntu 6.06.02 LTS on a home-built Athlon XP CPU with mdadm
software RAID. No GUI desktop was running at the time.

Any help much appreciated,

--
Andrew Oakley