[Gloucs] Wireless driver problem

Glyn Davies glynd at walmore.com
Mon Jun 30 01:02:27 BST 2008

Maximillian Murphy wrote:
>>> This looks like the module was compiled for the wrong kernel. Some
>>> tools, if you don't specify a kernel version explicitly, use uname to
>>> work out which kernel to target. Is it possible you rebuild the module
>>> before rebooting into the new kernel? Maybe it built for the running
>>> kernel but installed in the new kernel's module directory.
>>>
>>> Just a guess. Try deleting it and building it again. Also manually
>>> check that /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build points to a valid kernel
>>> header tree for the running kernel.
>>>
>>> Matt
>>>

> A scan of the web seems to back this up.  One post suggests:
>
> [cite]
> This occurs when there is a mismatch in the kernel header version that is included and the version of the kernel u are running
>
> What is ur kernel version and what is the path of the kernel header include files ?
> [/cite]
>
> If you do find that the header files are older than the kernel then there is a debian package that provides kernel headers, so fixing this should be easy enough.  Apt suggests: linux-kernel-headers
>
> Once more unto the machine, dear friend, or stuff its USB port with chewing gum.
>
> Regards, Max

Cheers for the info.

Still a little suspicious though as I'm pretty sure the kernel headers
are installed with each new kernel (.deb wonderful package management
and all). Not doing anything different than I have done for the last
year or so.

Will look at it again and will report back.

--
Best Regards
Glyn Davies