[Gloucs] Wireless driver problem

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Mon Jun 30 20:46:34 BST 2008

Glyn Davies wrote:
> Cheers for the info.
>
> Still a little suspicious though as I'm pretty sure the kernel headers
> are installed with each new kernel (.deb wonderful package management
> and all). Not doing anything different than I have done for the last
> year or so.
>
> Will look at it again and will report back.

I don't have an Ubuntu box lying around, but I just checked this out on
Fedora, and I can confirm it makes and loads cleanly.

Interestingly, all 3 of the symbols you reported a problem with are
defined in the module source. 2 of them are static, though, so shouldn't
cause a problem. However, alloc_orinocodev is also defined in and
exported by the kernel. This is a recipe for disaster.

That said, I'd still be looking for obtuse ways you might be suffering
from a mis-build. Check the output of the following 2 svn commands
against mine:

[mbooth at mbooth orinoco_usb]$ svn info
Repository Root: https://orinoco.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/orinoco
Repository UUID: d5840382-cf11-0410-911d-9708efafdd99
Revision: 1300
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: proski
Last Changed Rev: 1299
Last Changed Date: 2008-02-28 01:03:33 +0000 (Thu, 28 Feb 2008)

[mbooth at mbooth orinoco_usb]$ svn status
?      modules.order
?      Module.markers
?      Module.symvers

If nothing stands out, you said you already did a make clean so my next
step would be to delete the whole checkout, its directory and everything
in it, then check it out again. That way there's no possibility of a
leak from an old build. After that, you might have to consider
slaughtering chickens by the light of a full moon.

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS
Red Hat, Global Professional Services

M:       +44 (0)7977 267231
GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490