[Gloucs] Remote backups

Glyn Davies glynd at walmore.com
Sat May 3 23:37:57 BST 2008

Nick wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> For some time now I've been successfully backing up everything as I
> should onto an external hard drive using a combination of Ivman,
> cron and rsync (rsnapshot) scripts, and it's all been going
> swimmingly.  However I'm aware that as my external drive lives next
> to my computer, in the event of <badness> (and I live in student
> accomodation at present, so that isn't inconcievable - burning
> things seems to be a popular hobby here), it will likely do me no
> good.
>
> My scripts could be very easily adapted to do remote backups - after
> all they use rsync - however I've always put off doing so due to
> security & cost concerns; that is how do I know that my data on
> another's server will be safe, and who would I rent server space
> from and for what cost (I am not rich). I could of course gpg
> encrypt the remote backups, but the problem of where to keep a copy
> of my private key remains (and no, I can't just stick it in a bank
> vault).
>
> So, does anybody have any experience / advice for me with doing
> remote backups? (Andrew I seem to remember you stating that you
> don't trust your data unless it's backed up on several different
> continents.)  I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Nick

Nick,

I'm no expert especially given my backups consists of copying my home
directory to a USB hard drive which is then kept on, errr, the same
continent. That and I can't remember when I resynced it :)

However, if you want offsite backup and don't trust some of the online
services, you could backup to someone you did trust over their broadband
connection. I'm thinking say of your parents or a friend you trust.
Either use their machine or a slug (NSLU2) and a USB hard drive and
rsync over SSH. You can encrypt the data on disk as well.

Alternatively, you can get a 2GB pen drive from Aria for £2.95+vat
http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/newsletter?productId=30818&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2GB+Arianet+Silver+Shadow+Pen+Drive+&utm_campaign=newsletter020508

Pen drives have their own issues (mainly that they are easily mislaid)
but you could buy several and ooh, I dunno, keep one on you at all
times, cement one into the wall with just the connector showing, post
one to a POBox you own, etc etc.

My only other tip is to regularly make sure you can restore from your
backups.

--
Best Regards
Glyn Davies