[Gloucs] Remote backups

Nick gloslug at njw.me.uk
Sun May 4 00:28:57 BST 2008

Glyn Davies wrote:
> Nick wrote:
>>
>> So, does anybody have any experience / advice for me with doing remote
>> backups? (Andrew I seem to remember you stating that you don't trust your
>> data unless it's backed up on several different continents.)  I'd be very
>> interested to hear your thoughts.
>
> I'm no expert especially given my backups consists of copying my home
> directory to a USB hard drive which is then kept on, errr, the same
> continent. That and I can't remember when I resynced it :)

Cron / plugging scripts are your friends :) I'll eventually get
around to posting my setup online, so that others may marvel at my
bash skillz (I love bash), but probably not for a little while yet.

> However, if you want offsite backup and don't trust some of the online
> services, you could backup to someone you did trust over their broadband
> connection. I'm thinking say of your parents or a friend you trust. Either
> use their machine or a slug (NSLU2) and a USB hard drive and rsync over
> SSH. You can encrypt the data on disk as well.

Aha! Now there's an idea. I had thought of this sometime in the
past, but since then had forgotten it again. ssh+rsync should serve
me well there. Of course I'll have to contend with a dynamic ip and
laptop which spends a good deal of its time turned off, but my
super-duper openwrt router will deal with the former, and cron the
latter, so I forsee no great problems.

> Alternatively, you can get a 2GB pen drive from Aria for £2.95+vat
> http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/newsletter?productId=30818&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2GB+Arianet+Silver+Shadow+Pen+Drive+&utm_campaign=newsletter020508

Wow. I had no idea usb drives were so cheap now... I'm still proud
of my bargain 128MB pen for a mere £10. Ah, technology.

> My only other tip is to regularly make sure you can restore from
> your backups.

Good advice. As I keep plenty of differently dated backups around
with rsnapshot I quite often find myself digging through my backup
to find something I mislaid / changed, so that should be no problem
;-)

> Best Regards
> Glyn Davies

Thanks alot Glyn.

--
GPG Key : www.njw.me.uk/nick.gpg.asc     GPG Key ID: 04E4653F
  GPG Fingerprint: 9732 D7C7 A441 D79E FDF0 94F6 1F48 5674 04E4 653F