[Gloucs] Routers and IPv6

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Thu May 8 21:21:53 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 20:44 +0000, Andrew Oakley wrote:

> Domestic
> users set a private subnet that is considered "safe" and can happily
> misconfigure their private machines to be open to all

Erk - quite. I put my faith (and lack of any useful data - we don't keep
bank account or CC or ANYTHING financially useful on computer beyond the
simple spreadsheet named, for example, FDMB or CPJS, which just lists
figures. And they are so low as to be of no interest whatsoever to
anyone wanting to rip us off with me off work forever with injuries and
ill health!!!!

However, the private unprotected domain sits behind 3 firewalls and
NATS, tho' the only one I'd really put any faith into is the little
solid state pooter running IPCop... but basically we take the view that
our disks are compromised, a matter of when rather than if, and given
our skills level in hardening up the system, just make sure that nothing
of use is on any disk accessible from any network whatsoever, and intend
to keep it that way as long as we can.

If they insist we do internet banking then I want 100% cast iron no
alibi no hassle compensation if anyone accesses any of our accounts and
takes money out of it - by forcing internet banking they are forcing me
to reveal my details publically as far as I am concerned, and I don't
intend to bear any risk of any kind whatsoever for such coercion and
breach of security.

I suspect that things like live-person telephone banking will never
disappear as enough people will distrust computerised networked systems
as to always support the business model - that's as far as I will go,
telephone banking.