[Gloucs] Topic for next meeting? "Cool hacky scripts"

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Tue Oct 14 21:29:47 UTC 2008

I've got an idea for a topic for the next meeting:
"Cool hacky scripts"

Instead of two one-hour talks, how about four or so of us do some quick
20/30-minute talks, about some interesting but horribly hacky homebrew
script that we've written?

Y'know the kind of thing; you wrote it in ten lines of Bash or Perl a
few years ago, you always meant to get around to polishing it up, but
never quite found the time, yet it has remained very useful and you
couldn't live without it to this day.

I could do a half-hour talk on my "getram" Bash script which I use to
convert BBC Radio realplayer streams into MP3 files and then chain this
to a horrid PHP script that converts a directory full of MP3s into an
RSS feed. Combine this with cron and I have my very own personalised
digital radio recorder and podcast feed, which I then connect to with my
Nokia N95's podcatcher to... listen to the Today programme on the bus to
work!

Come on, at least two or three more people must have their own homebrew
cool hacky script that they're proud (or ashamed) of.

--
Andrew Oakley