[Gloucs] 1U servers (AMD 2GHz Opterons)

Simon Fryer fryers at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 12:59:39 UTC 2008

Hi Gerd,

On 15/10/2008, Gerdjan Busker <busker at busker.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the interest.  They have now been unloaded but there is an
> alteration to the spec which makes this less desirable to some.
>
> They're actually dual CPU 32-bit Xeons (2.4GHz) with 6GB each.  Each
> node has a Myrinet card so if you have two you can network between them
> at 2Gbits and very low latency.

Still somewhat faster than everything I have at the moment, and I
think with more memory than I have in all my machines combines at the
moment!

Pity that they are Intel boxes but I can live with that.

If you have two going spare, they can replace a couple of my servers
at home with a smaller footprint and probably lower power consumption.

> Also I may have to ask for a small donation (say 5 quid per node) to
> cover some of the transport cost.  Fully negotiable or exchangeble for
> beer (at the next meeting, if I manage to make it again).

Given the spec, I wasn't quite sure if they were *free* or if you were
charging for them. 5 quid each to you for your transport costs seems
very reasonable to me.

Simon