[Gloucs] vrms

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 28 20:00:08 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 01:00:00PM +0100, Geoff Bagley wrote:

> I just tried out "vrms" ,  and found that Mr. RMS would be proud of me !
>
> I have no contrib or non-free  packages installed on my Debian Lenny.
>
> The non-free packages I can understand,
>
> What might be the issue with "contrib " ?

Debian contrib may be totally DFSG in itself but may be dependent on a
non-free package, recommend a non-free package or even _install_ a
non-free package.

Something like - an Amiga emulator which relies on non-free ROMS, an
installer for a Bulgarian dictionary or the fwcutter and bcm
"installers" which pull out non-free firmware for WiFi cards.

That sort of thing from a very cursory glimpse.

> Surely they could, in principle, be completely free from proprietary
> contamination ?
>
> Geoff

Does that help explain the sorts of things that contrib is?

AndyC