[Gloucs] Permission Request

Gerdjan Busker busker at busker.org
Tue Feb 17 09:26:38 UTC 2009

Keith Edmunds wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 00:04:54 +0000, lug at twinmoons.clara.co.uk said:
>

>> I certainly would not
>> want lots of job adverts posted here but one every now and again might
>> be OK.
>>

> I would have thought that job adverts that are a) genuine (ie, there
> really are jobs rather than it being a CV-trawling exercise), b) about
> Linux and c) for the Gloucestershire (and perhaps the immediate
> surrounding area) would be appropriate.
Hmm, I certainly take a dim view on job adverts in LUG mailing lists.
The current job market situation has made recruiters jobs harder but it
doesn't mean they can start spamming via mailing lists.  You can't make
an exception for one for the following reasons:

a) There is no way to distinguish between the quality/genuinity/record
of various recruitment consultants (or whatever they call themselves
today).  Some are very genuinely helpfull, some are not.

b) Allow one allow all?  Given the number of phone calls I get per week
there are hundreds of desperate  recruiters.  Let in one and who knows
where it stops?

c) Any recruitment consultant can register, look at the various postings
and measure based on that whether to make a personal approach to fill an
available position or not.  It's called work.  No need to spam.
If you were a really sneaky RC you might post a question about a certain
technology you have a vacancy for (e.g. "My $foo segfaults when I $fub
the $bars, does anyone know how this works?") and hope to get a helpful
response leading to a personal approach & a hire.

I've had numerous phone calls from recruiters and employers based on
posts I've done so there are those who do read groups & lists.  I have
time for anyone taking the effort to find me personally.

That's my 2p.

Gerd.