[Gloucs] RE : PCs

Paul Broadhead lug at twinmoons.clara.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 12:03:29 UTC 2009

Dave Elliott wrote:

> I know the price is much less than a tank of petrol but some
> assurance that the hardware is reasonably supported (graphics adapter
> to a respectable resolution, network etc) by readily available
> distributions without endless clever contortions would be helpful if
> you have any suggestions or are getting further information - I have
> enough useless rubbish already!

Judging by the provided details and the fact that they are billed as
"ideal for LINUX users" these little PCs will run Linux fine.  Linux
support for Intel hardware is very good indeed and any recent Linux
distro such as Fedora or Ubuntu (and the rest) should have no problems
at all; network, sound and graphics should all work. A similar
MSI model (may be the numbers got switched) with the same graphics looks
to support up to 1600x1200 [1]. Obviously, I personally cannot guarantee
this but I'm happy to part with my own cash with confidence.

These are not fast machines and will not be suitable for playing the
latest 3D games extravaganza. They will be fine for normal desktop use
and perfect for personal servers and suchlike.  I'll be using mine to
replace two old and power hungry boxes I use for server and
firewall/router roles.

Let me know if you want to add a PC to the list.

Paul

[1]
<http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=134&prod_no=20>