[Gloucs] Debian and youtube.

Tom Walker mrtom at gmx.co.uk
Thu Jul 30 11:20:31 UTC 2009

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> I don't normally use Youtube a lot,  and so have never learned much
> about it !  I am getting a lot of "flack" from my son,  who wishes to do
> so.
>
> Please can anyone point me to the basic requirements for accessing
> Youtube on Debian GNU/Linux ?

Add this source to your /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main

And apt-get install flashplayer-mozilla. This should be picked up by all browsers.

I think that Adobe are due to release a critical security patch to Flash today so you might want to wait.

I've not tried the open source plugins recently. When they work they are much faster but my experience was that most flash content didn't work. You might find that youtube support is not too bad as I'd have thought this would be a high priority....

apt-get install mozilla-plugin-gnash
apt-get install swfdec-mozilla

I don't know how to specify which plugin is used if you install them all so use about:plugins in your browser to debug.

Regards,
Tom