[Gloucs] Download rates.

Andrew Winton andrew at winton.ch
Mon Jun 29 20:32:33 UTC 2009

My experiences with BT

At my computer I enjoy about 60kB's (or so the download software says) when
downloading after my 3 sons have gone to bed.  I live about 3 miles from my
local exchange in Nailsworth so I will not have the best connection.  As I
understand it ADSL is split into two segments:

a) up to the BT Master Socket (used to be a NTE-5a Master Socket with BT
logo) fitted somewhere local to your house and

b) from the BT Master socket to your computer/ router etc.

I have a Netgear ADSL Router DG834N and if I connect it directly to the BT
Master Socket it will tell me the maximum download speed at that one
particular moment at the Master Socket - and I know mine is about 4 times
faster than I receive at my normal router position.  I attach a pdf from my
router showing the speeds.  As far as I understand most people have a
standard 50:1 contention ratio - where 50 people's connection are linked/or
related together - but I do not know how this works in the local exchange.
Logically if everyone switches on / and downloads something at 7.00 pm -
then the available 'bandwidth' is probably less available than say at 4.00
am when most people are asleep.  The telephone exchange will 'rate' your
connection and automatically set it at what is believed to be an achieveable
speed.

I understand that the quality of telephone wire varies;  say 30 year old BT
bell wire may not be as good as the latest biggest and best from ADSL nation
Ltd who can supply Pro+ Installation cable at £0.79 a metre.  You are
responsible from your Master Socket; and BT Openreach owns up to and
including your Master Socket.

If you are really keen you can find rewiring info at:
http://www.rob-r.co.uk/other/UKphonecatwiring.htm

If you think that you might benefit from a new wire up to your Master Socket
you can ask BT Openreach (as I did) and enjoy being told that Survey Officer
will come and inspect your premises and make you a quotation all for GBP 200
and this does include VAT - but you only get a quote.  The actual
installation is GBP 115 per hour plus materials - an absolute snip!  A
cheaper solution is to require a second line (stating that a doubled line is
not acceptable) from your telephone or broadband ISP supplier and you will
get a new wire and BT Master Socket.

I also understand that my old GPO / BT wiring with lots of connection
sockets is the worst solution - the best is the shortest possible cable
direct to your router and if you must - one extra line to your burglar
alarm.  Keep everything short with a minimum number of connections.

When telephoning BT I always view the call as a success if I don't get lost
in the automated options game and if I actually get through to a human I am
over the moon!  Doesn't do me much good though as they always tell me that I
need to speak to someone else, I think it's their standard put you down.

All this has to be tempered with the knowledge that BT Openreach will be
recabling the country with fibre optic cables right up to the green box in
your street in the next couple of years;  but the nice lady from BT
Openreach did explain that this was hopefully the starting date and that
they always started first in the cities and expanded outwards.  Bad luck if
you live in the sticks like me.

I don't know if any of this helps but best of luck with your rewiring.

Andrew Winton, Avening, Gloucestershire