[Gloucs] Download rates.

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Mon Jun 29 20:39:26 UTC 2009

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 19:50:55 +0000 (GMT), geoff.bagley at btinternet.com said:

> I read the figures off the screen

Of course (light bulb comes on) - sorry. I suggest you try one of the many
ADSL speed measuring sites, such as http://www.speedtest.net/, and run
tests a few times over a few days to get a "reliable" average.

When you say, "the phone line was re-routed but using the same master
socket", do you mean that you are connected directly to the master socket,
or now via an extension that, in turn, uses the same master socket? If the
latter, you might want to try one of those networking via the mains
setups. The master socket here is nowhere near where the PCs are, so we
have the master socket connected directly to the ADSL
modem, and network-via-mains to the PCs. The maximum bandwidth we need via
the mains is modest because there's no point in it being greater than our
ADSL bandwidth, which is about 5Mbps on a sunny day with a tailwind. Works
very well: I forget exactly what speed I had with the self-made extension
from the master socket, but I do remember the speed being significantly
greater (25% or more) when we changed to what we now have.

hth,
Keith