[Gloucs] Download rates.

Tim Ballam tim.ballam at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 30 10:21:14 UTC 2009

Geoff

The main thing you say is that the phone line was re-routed using the same master socket, was the master socket moved?  The ADSL signal is affected by many things one of them is unbalanced taps and cables of differing lengthes on the outbound and return paths. The best option when moving an ADSL line is to try and install a new lower half on the NTE5 box

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

from this you should use CAT5e cable to an ADSL outlet (RJ11 socket)

Other things are to check the ammount of errors that are on the connection, (un corrected are realy bad),  this can be an indication that there is a real problem between the modem and DSLAM (Equiptment at BT exchange), every uncorrected error could cause correution of the TCP data and thus a retransmit this retransmit will be be a problem when large packets are being transmitted but not so apparent for smaller

When BT do a line check this is only realy for the voice side of things,  to do a proper test a "Openreach" engineer would have to carry out a site visit, if it's a problem with your equiptment you will get a bill.

I used to have a document describing a lot of problems with ADSL connections but can't find it at the moment.

If you would like any any more specific help please email

Tim

When using Debian apt-get upgrade it is usual to see an indication of
the number of kB/s being down loaded.

Recently, I had been getting 300 kB/s.

This week-end,  I have had to move my computers to another room,  and
the phone line was re-routed but using the same master socket.

I now get only 150 kB/s.

I can't find any good reason here.  I am beginning to suspect that
btinternet decided to "spread it more thinly" over a larger number of
new ADSL subscribers !

Any better ideas please ?

Geoff