[Gloucs] Download rates.

Steve King debian at invux.com
Sun Jun 28 22:01:58 UTC 2009

> This week-end,  I have had to move my computers to another room,  and
> the phone line was re-routed but using the same master socket.

Did you move the filter?

When I moved my ADSL line filter, initially my down speed reduced (the
router reported it down from 8M/bit to 7.5M/bit, but within three for four
days it had recalibrated and was back to its previous value.

Does your router report a different connection rate now?

> I now get only 150 kB/s.
>
> I can't find any good reason here.  I am beginning to suspect that
> btinternet decided to "spread it more thinly" over a larger number of
> new ADSL subscribers !

Well that may be true too. Maybe talk to BT, they can get the line to
"re-optimise" which may bring you back to your old speed.

Recently, my line speed seemed to drop, (down to ~1.6 M/bit - about
200kbytes/s for no apparent reason, even though the router reported
8Mbit/s (i'm with plusnet, who are owned by BT). After raising a support
call, and rebooting my router, I am now back to my full rate.

Sometimes suppliers maybe "try it on" just to see if the customer notices.

Steve
--
Never leave your baby in /tmp