[Gloucs] Frustrate their knavish tricks.

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Wed Mar 25 21:59:04 UTC 2009

Hello Geoff,

I can't answer you Flash question, as my "solution" is merely the
flashblock add-on for Firefox: I activate only those Flash elements
that I want.  I haven't tried gnash or swfdec.

2009/3/25 Geoff Bagley <geoff.bagley at btinternet.com> wrote:
> A similar problem may concern Java scripts.
>
> I find it difficult to trust such scripts,  and would like to turn off
> Java  ( which I do not use anyway).

You are probably aware that Javascript is quite a different animal
from Java: full-featured browsers run both.

To be honest, in 2009 I don't see Java applets very often.

In Mozilla Firefox, select Edit/Preferences.
Select the Content tab, and there is an 'Enable Java' check box you can untick.

Depending on your distribution, there may also be a Java plugin.  Go
to Tools / Add-ons
Select plugins and scroll down to "Java"
If there is a Java plugin, there is a disable button on the right of
the entry of .  Click on it.
Restart Firefox.   Firefox won't be able to run applets in Sun's Java language.

However Javascript (a language developed by Netscape) is almost
everywhere. Although most websites work without it, Javascript seems
to be a necessary evil to get the most out of the web.

If you are also interested in disabling Javascript in Firefox,  there
is also a check box under Edit/Preferences/Content for 'Enable
Javascript' - you could also untick that.

I am not up-to-date on these options in other browsers.

Does that help?