[Gloucs] Andy's rant.

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 22 19:08:07 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 11:48:49AM +0000, Geoff Bagley wrote:
> I enjoyed Andy's rant in which he listed the characteristics and
> weaknesses  of the various distros and their derivatives.
>
> I am glad that I have chosen to stick with Debian,  Lenny on my main
> desktop, and  Squeeze on my laptop.
>
> However, I now  have a resulting  problem.
> My son Chris is very happy surfing on Lenny,  but wants to be able to do
> lots of things that I am not geared up for !

It's not your choice, it's his :)  I can suggest Ubuntu / potentially
Linux Mint. A modern Firefox and Adobe Flash plugin will work well if
it's 32 bit. Ubuntu will suggest the appropriate plugins if you include
the Restricted repository IIRC. You may also want codecs.

> He  has a Kodak digital camera that is NOT Linux friendly -  (no
> problems with my Canon).
> He also wants to use YouTube and also to download stuff from various
> Linux-unfriendly sites.

YouTube and BBC both work for me with Firefox 3.5.5 in Ubuntu

> He is talking about getting his own Windows Laptop (grrrrr).

Allow anything up to £130 for AV for three years, £70-400 for Microsoft
Office depending on whether you have a prior version and £70 per hour at
PC World or Curry's to fix it :) The cost of the OS, an office suite and
AV are potentially the cost of a cheap machine.

> The best I can hope for is dual-boot.
>
> How do other GNU/Linux  users dot it ?
>
> I don't want to violate my principals and get involved with proprietary
> software.

Try Gnash for Flash?