[Gloucs] Andy's rant.

GEOFF BAGLEY geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 22 20:19:53 UTC 2009

Hi All.

Thanks for the several replies.

> > I enjoyed Andy's rant in which he listed the
> characteristics and
> > weaknesses  of the various distros and their
> derivatives.
> >
> > )  I can suggest Ubuntu / potentially
> Linux Mint. A modern Firefox and Adobe Flash plugin will
> work well if  > it's 32 bit. Ubuntu will suggest the appropriate plugins if you include the Restricted repository IIRC.
You may also want codecs.

> > He  has a Kodak digital camera that is NOT Linux
> friendly -
It is a Kodak M380.  I am now searching for a suitable interface
to Debian.

> YouTube and BBC both work for me with Firefox 3.5.5 in
> Ubuntu
> ...... anything up to £130 for AV for three years,
(please what is AV ? )
£70-400 for Microsoft Office depending on whether you have a prior version   ( that could be Open Office )
> £70 per hour at > PC World or Curry's to fix it :) The cost of the OS, an  office suite and AV are potentially the cost of a cheap machine.

> > How do other GNU/Linux  users do it ?
> >
> > I don't want to violate my principles
and get involved with proprietary
> > software.
> >

> Try Gnash for Flash?

The usually available deb version of Flash is for Ubuntu.
I guess I might get it to work on Debian.

I have been using Debian since "Woody" came out.
I see no reason to change.
I would however like to get my son fixed up with a (for him)
viable system.

 Best regards,
 Geoff.