[Gloucs] Andy's rant.

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 22 20:25:22 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 08:19:46PM +0000, GEOFF BAGLEY wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> Thanks for the several replies.
>
> > > He  has a Kodak digital camera that is NOT Linux
> > friendly -
> It is a Kodak M380.  I am now searching for a suitable interface
> to Debian.
> >
> > ...... anything up to £130 for AV for three years,
> (please what is AV ? )
> £70-400 for Microsoft Office depending on whether you have a prior version   ( that could be Open Office )
> > £70 per hour at > PC World or Curry's to fix it :) The cost of the OS, an  office suite and AV are potentially the cost of a cheap machine.

Windows 7 - £79 for Upgrade version, Symantec / Norton AntiVirus - hence
AV - £130 upgrade price for three year coverage. Microsoft Office is £70
if you want Home and Student or £400 for Ultimate if you haven't a
previous version to upgrade from.

Debian / ClamAV / OpenOffice.org 3.1 - PRICELESS :)

> > > How do other GNU/Linux  users do it ?
> > >
> > > I don't want to violate my principles
> and get involved with proprietary
> > > software.
> > >

> > Try Gnash for Flash?
>
> The usually available deb version of Flash is for Ubuntu.
> I guess I might get it to work on Debian.

I doubt it - Adobe are not known for best quality linking so stuff may
break.

If he is not so hung up on Freeness of software and the DFSG, then
Ubuntu may be a good fit for him :)
>  Best regards,
>  Geoff.

all best,