[Gloucs] KDE problems.

Lyndon Evans ldeevans at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 29 16:07:26 UTC 2009

KDE 3.x IMHO was the closest one could get to a fully featured desktop (surpassing Windoze, :-0), I found Gnome too basic and frustrating.
KDE, I thought was the future for Linux, both on the desktop and personal devices, great support, QT develpment libraries and tools. However, KDE 4 was a serious dissapointment. The core library code has been rewritten, even incompatible with version 3.x, hence the necessity of various rewrites of key applications (didn't Borland make this mistake with their C++ development). And it is so slow and buggy, released too early and obviously with no proper/public testing. These guys will never learn, another opportunity missed.
Windoze 7... it could have been KDE, maybe, but I do think the new M$ OS will konquer!
Gnome on the other hand, do give the latest version a go. I am impressed, I never thought I would say that (although it's very similar to how it was originally, which is a good thing), is now much slicker, with intelligent improvements, where they count, the only real alternative ATM.

Just my pennys worth!
Lyndon.