[Gloucs] The future of Linux - is Ubuntu really it? I hope not!

Danger seriously.nowai at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 3 23:52:54 UTC 2009

Hey fellow Linux users!

So getting straight to the point, is Ubuntu good for Linux? Now I'll start
by saying I actually have one of my VM's running Ubuntu at the moment, and
it's meh, it's fine. But are the goals of making Linux in a way more
widespread inline with [A] keeping the ideals of true free software and [B]
even is it sensible? I've had a play with distributions like  Ubuntu and
MINT etc.. and as friendly as they try and make Linux it seems a little
pointless as at some point the user will HAVE to come across the command
line, tools like make, is there any point of hiding them away, and is it
just be or all the attractive things about Ubuntu just "getting around " the
free software perspective?

The point, for me at least, about using Linux is mainly the fact that's free
and every bit of the OS I use I can edit, I can have the source I can modify
it (even if I occasionally  (=~ s/occasionally/most of the time/) I do it
baldy. When I use these "pop linux" distros I feel there just promoting
people to avoid and ignore this, "go and get this codec or this Sun version
of Java" rather than saying hey this is a completely free environment.  Is
that what we really want?

Then of course is the issue of in reality what you need to know to be
working with Linux.  Let's be honest that unless you leave the default
installation alone, you're going to be asking some harsh questions of people
who think setting their microwave to a 3 minutes cooking time is
challenging. Should we be pushing Linux as it is to users that will struggle
with it? I'm not sure. It just seems with every issue of Linux Format /
Magazine where is this "OMFG guys a free OS for everyone in here buy me" so
poor sods buy it.

Although Dell did a very good job defending the return rates on Linux based
netbooks - I know a fair few people who give Linux ago but after a few days
it just gets too much for them, and to be honest I accept that. Should we
[A] keep trying and pushing distros like Ubuntu to the average Joe, [B] keep
developing Linux on our own path, and if it becomes accessible enough for
everyone then push it to the masses or [C] Why the f-word are we even
bothered what the average Joe wants , we'll keep developing it for what we
want, and in our direction.

I'll end with my perspective, I don't think Linux is "mass market ready", I
dont think any distro should be pushing software that is non-free, and I
certainly don't think our agenda should be influenced by wanted more users
to use Linux.

Hope your having a good weekend :D And hopefully I'll meet you all at the
next meeting :)

Thanks

David