[Gloucs] The future of Linux - is Ubuntu really it? I hope not!

Brian Wilkinson bcla.wilkinson at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 9 08:02:33 UTC 2009

My personal feeling is *not* that linux isn't ready but that people have
embedded expectations when it comes to a PC. Give someone a smart phone and
they will somehow find their way around any OS / interface regardless of
whether they have seen it before or not, but give someone a PC and they
expect windows. If you don't keep trying to alter peoples perception about
what is possible with alternative OS's (by whatever means possible) then
that isn't likely to change.
It reminds me of when I'm trying to introduce my 7yr old daughter to food
she hasn't eaten before - her reaction is always 'I wont try it because I
might not like it'. The truth is - she might *not* like it, but you have to
keep trying.
I suspect when Chrome OS pokes it's head out it will become quite
fashionable, I wonder why.

BTW, I've been lurking on this list for years, sorry to jump on the thread
without a proper intro. I've been using various distros for about 10 years
now and only use windows when forced to.

Brian Wilkinson