[Gloucs] The future of Linux - is Ubuntu really it? I hope not!

Paul Broadhead lug at twinmoons.clara.co.uk
Sun Oct 4 15:48:48 UTC 2009

Danger wrote:

> So getting straight to the point, is Ubuntu good for Linux?

I'm not sure what your point really is.  At it's core, Ubuntu is no
different than any other distro apart from being more popular.  Change
the desktop theme and the main menu icon and you'd be hard pressed to
tell the difference between it and Fedora or Debian (I use all three).
There is no hiding of the command line, no forcing of non-free software,
there's even a free-software only option on the live CD.

I agree that Ubuntu makes it very easy to start using non-free
software.  The upside is improved usability for those willing to
compromise their freedom, the downside is that they may not know they
are doing so. As you use google mail, you clearly are not 100% against
non-free software.

I really think you are wrong if you think Linux and its distros are not
ready for the mass public, I think it is.  The only things still holding
it back are things like support from games and gadget manufactures.
Ubuntu's popularity can only help with this support which will benefit
all Linux distros.

Regards,
Paul