[Gloucs] BSD

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 10 21:47:06 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 09:42:24AM +0100, Geoff Bagley wrote:
> Andrew wrote
>
> > FreeBSD is minimalist to the extreme.
> >
> Thanks for the comments.  The one that caught my eye is above.
>
> Since Debian will only use the kernel  with the usual Debian user world,
> I guess that the  minimalism may not show very much.

Debian will basically graft the FreeBSD kernel and some of the userland
utilities with Debian package management, ease of upgrade etc.

It's a relatively mature architecture within Debian - it just hasn't
been released before.

OpenBSD really is minimalist and _very_ paranoid about security. It does
mean that many programs just aren't there and some older versions are
kept around because they are believed to be secure. Theo de Raadt is
passionate and outspoken and arouses very strong opinions from others.
OpenBSD does give us OpenSSH as a by-product of being security focussed.

> Best regards.

All best,

> Geoff

Andy