[Gloucs] SPA3102, SIP and Saynoto0870

Glyn Davies glynd at walmore.com
Sat Aug 7 13:09:26 UTC 2010

If you read the spiel on the link I posted, the guy says he contacted
saynoto0870 and never received a response. An API to the database is a
really obvious thing to do so I guess the site owner isn't interested.

So, an asterisk script is one solution but that makes my plans for my
phone system more complicated. Basic plan was for the normal phone
plugging into an SPA3102 (see
http://www.aoakley.com/articles/2008-01-08.php). Nice solution as it
fails back to the landline if power or internet goes down.

Now, I would have to route 0870 calls to an Asterisk box (have a NSLU2
doing nothing so could do this).
Things would then get more complicated if no geographic number was
found, website was down, decided POTS was cheapest. It makes the
likelihood of all this being kept transparent to the users unlikely.

On 6 August 2010 10:30, Dale Stringfellow <thedss at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I am not sure of any providers which do that.
>
> I have a question about saynoto0870.  Can a list be downloaded, or do you have
> to search for each number?
>
> If one could obtain a list, that list could be stored on an Asterisk, and
> Asterisk used to do the translation.
>
> Two methods worth exploring, but the first one perhaps not efficient enough.
>
> Using Asterisk, when an 08 number is dialled, Asterisk executes an AGI script
> which posts the 08 number to the saynoto0870 site, and then parses the result
> to retrieve the geographic number.  Then dials the geographic number.
>
> The other method would be more efficient.  Have the Asterisk box download a
> full list (if saynotot0870 provide one) periodically.  The list is then
> imported in to a database.
>
> When an 08 number is dialled, Asterisk queries the local database and dials
> the geographic number associated.
>
> So, basically, rather than rely on a particular ITSP to do any translations
> (if one exists), you can create the service yourself quite easy and cheaply,
> and you keep the freedom to choose your ITSP.
>
> If required, I can supply pre-configured Asterisk boxes using small low power
> consumption embedded servers from £300.

Best Regards
Glyn Davies