[Gloucs] DSP on Linux.

Lyndon Evans ldeevans at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 22 17:39:15 UTC 2010

Check out GNURadio and the GRC (GNU Radio Companion).
Installation is a bit long winded, but straight forward on Ubuntu (or Fedora),
plus a live connection to download required packages.

The GRC is a GUI based drag'n'drop DSP module connection kit (a bit
like Mathworks Simulink, only its all open source). Essentially, all you'd
need to do is select the audio source, a filter block, down sampler block,
then an audio sink (I presume), run it and get excited! Various FFT/scope
sinks are available to test your design.Once your design is working, all
you need is the connection config script to run outside the GUI.

Theres all sorts of modules, (de)modulators, decoders, etc. Signal sources
and sinks can be sound card, soft waveform generators and the USRP.
Check this out too for an inexpensive (comparatively for what it offers)
open source (!!!) transceiver hardware platform.

See www.gnuradio.org for GNURadio/GRC/USRP. Its available for
Darwin too.

Lyndon