[Gloucs] USB flash drive testing tools

Glyn Davies glynd at walmore.com
Thu Jun 10 21:52:10 UTC 2010

On 9 June 2010 23:15, Graham Nye <graham.nye at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Glyn Davies wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a tool on Linux for testing a USB flash drive.
> >
> > Have  a 8GB Ebay bargain here and am having some fun and games which may or
> > may not be the flash drives fault.
> >

> I've used dd if=/dev/zero to try out a SD card. It seemed to object to
> having a few 100MB written to it in one go but seemed happier with
> smaller files.

Well, here's the latest update.

Due to an Ebay accident (didn't realise 'offers' were binding) I
acquired a second 8GB drive made by hp. That worked fine with the
joggler disk image.

I emailed the Ebay seller of the original drive and he said he'd had a
few complaints over the weekend with the current batch. It's in the
post on way back at the moment but before I sent it I did the
following quick test.

dd the joggler image to the drive
dd the data back from the drive to a second file on the HD
stepped through the original file and second file 10M at a time
md5sum-ing each 10M block and comparing the results

I'd say at least %50 of the blocks were different.

--
Best Regards
Glyn Davies