[Gloucs] OpenStreetMap and Haiti rescue

paul cooke paul.cooke100 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 1 17:57:14 UTC 2010

On Thursday 25 February 2010 10:40:59 Andrew Oakley wrote:
> There was no usable GPS sat-nav map for Haiti rescue workers, so a
> satellite photography company released some high-def photos, and
> OpenStreetMap volunteers created one.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8517057.stm
>
> Andrew Oakley
> Head of Software Development
> Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA)
> 95 Promenade, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL50 1HZ
> T 01242 211460  F 01242 211122  W www.hesa.ac.uk
> <http://www.hesa.ac.uk/>

I'm using openstreetmap data on my phone

Java app plus openstreetmap = cheap handheld GPS and the maps update
reasonably frequently as well. It also autoroutes and supports many options I
would have to pay extra for with the supplied proprietary program that came
with my phone.

http://we-travel.co.cc/joomla/

not actually sure what the licence of the program is as I can't find it
anywhere on the website and I ain't going to ferret through the .jar either.