[Gloucs] BBC Radio -> MP3 script (getram)

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Mon May 17 22:36:50 UTC 2010

getram , my RealAudio to MP3 ripping script, has stopped functioning
as of this afternoon with BBC audio streams, since the BBC have
withdrawn support for RealAudio on domestic radio stations (AFAIK only
the World Service still broadcasts in RealAudio).

I have updated the script to work with Windows Media streams.

http://aoakley.com/misc/getram.txt

The URLs for Radio 4 and Radio 5 Windows Media streams are:
mms://wmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/bbc_ami/radio4/radio4_bb_live_ep1_sl0
mms://wmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/bbc_ami/radio5/radio5_bb_live_ep1_sl0

Windows Media appears to be supported under mplayer in Ubuntu 8.04, no
idea about other distros. It may require the Medibuntu codecs, not
sure. Works for me, anyway.

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com