[Gloucs] Virtual hacking

Matthew Phillips phillips321 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 12:38:49 UTC 2010

.cap files are captures of network traffic. They can be opened in wireshark
(formerly ethereal).

Capturing a wpa handshake just captures the handshake. The password is still
not in clear text.

To crack wpa you'll need to perform a dictionary attack against the captured
handshake. (a sample dictionary file can be downloaded here:
http://phillips321.co.uk/apps/ wpa.txt)

To prove it works add your wpa password into the file somewhere(preferably
not at the very beginning, or at the very end) and then run it.

WPA bruteforcing takes alot longer, basically attempts will be made like
follows:

aaaaa,
aaaab,
aaaac,
zzzzz
Aaaaa,
Aaaab
Aaaac
........ and so on. VERY time consuming. People who have access to a
powerful cluster have created websites where you upload the pcap file to
them: http://www.wpacracker.com/ usually expensive though!

Have fun

P.s. check man arp-scan   it'll tell you the flag to tell it which interface
to use, i think it's -I or -i ????