[Gloucs] Printer, scanner and All-in-one's

Ernie ernie at linfoot.plus.com
Thu Feb 3 12:45:47 UTC 2011

Hi Everyone,
Having been to only a few meetings in the past, I appreciate there are a lot of people who
are willing to help with their advice etc.

Sadly I having been able to get to as many meetings as I had hoped, due to a variety of
seemingly feeble excuses!  Maybe this year...........

Anyway, Can I have some advice from the group regarding Printers, scanners and All-in-one
devices that work well with Linux - particularly I would like to hear from anyone who is
running Ubuntu 10.4.

My Canon S820 (its a photo printer with 6 separate ink tanks) is now showing an error
message which indicates that its 'Waste Tank is almost full' and it looks like its going to
be as costly as a new one :-(

Also my current scanner is an old parallel port printer which runs on Windows 98 (and that's
almost the only reason for using that OS now.,
So I thought it might be worth investigating the current state of the market with regards to
Compatibility with Linux.

Ideally I'd like a photo printer with separate (5?) ink colours Max A4 size, and a scanner
with a transparency system. I've got loads of really old family negatives, of varying sized,
not just 35mm!

I'd love to hear from anyone with their experiences (and problems) of printing and scanning
on this great Operating system.

Just one word of warning, Although I've been involved with computer since about 1991, and
Linux for about 2 years I still regard myself as relatively inexperienced with Linux, so any
replies, Please, keep it simple

Thanks for reading this far..
All the best
Ernie Knagg