[Gloucs] Libreoffice on Debian squeeze.

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Fri Apr 6 15:50:40 UTC 2012

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 16:40:34 +0100 (BST), geoff.bagley at btinternet.com said:

> Please can you explain the "-t" used in install ?  It is not on my
> apt-get  cheat sheet.

'-t' specifies the repository to install from (put simply). Read
apt-get(8) if you want the full story, but it gets a little complex - you
need to understand priorities and preferences for a full explanation.

Quick guide: on a system without libreoffice installed:

$ apt-cache policy libreoffice
libreoffice:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:3.4.6-2~bpo60+1
  Version table:
     1:3.4.6-2~bpo60+1 0
        100 http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/
squeeze-backports/main i386 Packages

That says that the only version of libreoffice that this system knows
about is the one from backports. However, by default, your system won't
install dependencies from backports (that can be changed, but don't do
that unless, as they say, you know what you're doing). By specifying '-t
squeeze-backports', you are making the backports repository the default
for this command (only). Thus all the dependencies, also only in
backports, are found.

> Lastly, my sincere thanks for your kind help.

You're welcome.
--
"You can have everything in life you want if you help enough other people
get what they want" - Zig Ziglar.

Who did you help today?