[Gloucs] Spreadsheets.

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Sun Jan 1 19:18:54 UTC 2012

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 18:45:36 +0000 (GMT), geoff.bagley at btinternet.com said:

> She refers to another  method whereby you put the mouse at the top of
> the column, and run down the column to the point where you want to place
> the sum - and then you click.  This writes the sum of entries into the
> chosen place.

You seem to be saying that if my mouse is at the top of column A, and I
want to insert a new data item in the first free cell in column A (let's
say cell A6), then if I move the mouse to A6 and click, rather than the
cell being selected for editing the total for A1:A5 is inserted. If I've
understood you correctly, that sounds like an appalling user interface!

Oocalc, thankfully, doesn't do that; I can't check my interpretation on
Excel as I have no Windows PCs.

In oocalc, I'd suggest a slightly longer-winded way (but with a much
better UI):

 - click on the cell where the total should go
 - click on the sigma in the toolbar (it looks like an uppercase "M"
   rotated counterclockwise by ninety degrees)
 - that will automatically select the cells above the current one, but you
   can change the selection if needed
 - click on the tick

Typically, therefore, you only needs the first, second and last steps
above.
--
"You can have everything in life you want if you help enough other people
get what they want" - Zig Ziglar.

Who did you help today?