[Gloucs] The Command line on the internet.

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Mon Mar 5 19:51:43 UTC 2012

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 19:33:17 +0000 (GMT), geoff.bagley at btinternet.com said:

> The advantage is that any of the five
> computers in the family can read the mail where it sits.  I do not use a
> separate mail client (such as IceDove)  for fear of getting the
> downloaded mail spit up between numerous separate  client computers.

I understand. The fix for that is perhaps a little complicated, but you
could have one PC download the mail and make it available to the others
via IMAP, using Thunderbird or similar; however, that may be a lot more
work than you want.

> Am I to understand that ClawsMail is a client that downloads messages to
> the host on which it is installed,  leaving  them  inaccessible to the
> others ?

It can be, or it can access mail on a remote server via IMAP.

> I guess that  POP  might be the penalty of getting rid of spam and
> adverts !

Don't confuse POP (POP3), which is a way of accessing mail, with
downloading and storing mail. Usually mail access by POP3 is downloaded to
the PC it is read on, but it doesn't need to be. However, IMAP is far more
flexible than POP.

The bottom line is that you have traded simplicity (web-based mail access
provided by your IS) for adverts. You can lose the adverts, but you'll
need more complexity.
--
"You can have everything in life you want if you help enough other people
get what they want" - Zig Ziglar.

Who did you help today?