[Herefordshire] Mandrake updates

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 16 18:48:48 BST 2004

On Monday 16 Aug 2004 08:32, Noel McG. wrote:
> Hello David S,
>
> You recently lamented on your Linux Project page that you had been unable
> to get Mandrake to up date.
>
> I had never tried this so I decided to have a go.
>
> I first tried the Mandrake site and got nowhere.
>
> I then tried Control centre/software/updates, I was asked to download a
> large file but then got nowhere again.
>
> I then tried System/Configuration/Packaging/Mandrake updates  I was again
> asked to download hdlist.cz.  This takes about 1.5 hrs on a dial up modem.
> However it then brought up a window with options for Security, Bugfix and
> Normal updates.  This works and is currently downloading in the background.
> There are 215 bugfix files to choose from.

This is correct. But on 56k its not very practical to do. I would leave the
security ones unless you have any outward facing services (which i expect you
dont have). Bugfixes are more useful.

> Now another thought occurs.   Are these update files what would be the next
> release, or would there also be new versions of the various programmes?
> The latter I would hope.

I am never sure. I think these are just bug fixes, although the mandarke
'cooker' packages are more akin to the later ones that will crop up in 10.1
(in beta at moment).

> Does anyone know if there is a 'signature' feature in Mozila please, don't
> seem to be able to find one at present?

I think so, but i cant find it at present. I think its a little hard to find
tho'

Julian