[Herefordshire] Laptop Q

Noel McG. herlinux at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 4 12:30:17 GMT 2004

If you have an operasting system installed you should be able to boot or whatever from a CD.

However if you have a clean formatted HD with no OS I would suspect not, as one of the things on a boot up floppy is the driver for the CD drive without which it will not work.

Noel.

If a PC has a CD ( / DVD) drive and the BIOS supports booting from it (which I assume they all do now)

Then if I have a CD which has had suitable files and utilities burnt onto it
(e.g. for DOS:  Io.sys  Command.com  Msdos.sys  and then  fdisk.exe  format.com  etc. etc.)

Would I have any problems booting with this CD and doing with it the things I would have done with a bootable floppy (assuming that the CD had the relevant files on it's little boot like a floppy area, or that the relevant files could be accessed elsewhere on the CD, or a hard drive?

Please excuse my ignorance and thanks in anticipation

Edward FW

  ---
  This outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.