[Herefordshire] Laptop Q

Mark Broadbent markb at wetlettuce.com
Sat Dec 4 17:44:29 GMT 2004

Hi Noel,

Noel McG. wrote:
> If you have an operasting system installed you should be able to boot or
> whatever from a CD.
>
> However if you have a clean formatted HD with no OS I would suspect not,
> as one of the things on a boot up floppy is the driver for the CD drive
> without which it will not work.

Booting from a CD is function of the BIOS and not related to any
operating systems installed.  Older computers (I would guess pre-1997)
would not be able to boot from CD, it's quite to see if it can though.
Just go into the BIOS and find the menu that allows you to select the
boot devices order and see if CD-ROM can be selected.

 From my own perspective (regarding floppy drives), I've had a laptop
for a year without one and have only had 1 instance were I have needed
it, however, that could have been overcome if I had a USB memory key.

Thanks
Mark

Cheers
Mark