[Herefordshire] Re: Bigger and bigger graphics cards?

EdwardFW at aol.com EdwardFW at aol.com
Sun Dec 5 14:54:58 GMT 2004

I think:

Hiving off chunks of workload (notably re sound and vision) to other
processors means that the CPU can do its job faster and I’m all for it

But:

The financial boys (small medium and large) can afford the processing power
they need (medium large and very large). The cost of their staff (and premises
I expect) dwarf this

There is enough money in the developed countries for people to want fairly
up-market PC’s, and these are improving in cost-performance anyway

The more GPU’s try to be CPU’s for high performance all-singing all-dancing
PC’s the more they will have to resemble those CPU’s. But the established CPU’
s have all their software and instruction sets and compilers etc.
established. The GPU sellers have the cost of getting into this and the problem of
getting people to accept their different product. E.g. AMD can still find that
people ask for Intel. Others who tried hard to do what AMD have done failed.

And the GPU’s will run into cooling problems if they keep doing more and
getting faster

And if they can do things (in hardware / cooling terms) that CPU’s can’t the
CPU’s will start to copy them.

To the extent there is a market for simple cheap PC’s Intel and AMD and lots
of others can soon flood it with cheap CPU’s or single chips that have much of
the chipset as well.

E.g. there are various hand-held’s with a range of processors. The size form
and shape of these can adapt. And mobile phone companies’ want their products
to be one’s key portable device. Sony would be happy for their Playstation to
do our email etc. as well. And I think it is Via who do a computer on a board
or something, cheaply.

Further, as broadband spreads, to the extent that people want a simple device
with minimum fuss, especially commercially, there is the thin client model
with the server end handled for you.

Software configuration, and security are bigger issues than hardware cost.
And, especially commercially, training is a much bigger cost.

But:  SOMETIMES  I'M  WRONG!

Cheers, Edward