[Herefordshire] Re: Bigger and bigger graphics cards?

Peter Linnell info at lifespacedesign.co.uk
Mon Dec 6 12:46:55 GMT 2004

Your analysis looks pertinent, but I reckon that the thin clients will be in offices, where PC users are using absurdly powerful machines for the jobs they are doing because thats what there is in the marketplace; and with OS fixes and upgrades coming so often and so expensive this must be driving interest in Linux for SME use as well as .gov users.
All those punters out there with their 3G video phones are in for a bit of a shock when a) they try to use them in Herefordshire! b) they try to watch a decent quality, decent length clip of anything and c) they get a bill. A year ago I was thinking of getting a GPRS data card for the laptop. At that time it was quoted at £1 per Mb of traffic. The same service is now quoted at £4 per Mb.
When will these saps realise their only hope of recovering the licence fees is to make it so cheap we will all be using all the time for everything.
(Moan over)

On the subject of bios/os. My understanding is; you switch on your machine, it starts the bios which  then looks for an OS in the available drives in a given order; which order you can edit using the set-up menu. This is independant of type of machine and type of OS and is precisely the reason why I am currently unable to try Ubuntu, as I am unable to access my set-up menu to enable my machine to boot from the cd instead of the HD. ( Moan 2 over)

Enjoy your meal!
Pete