[Herefordshire] Mail Server

Mark Broadbent markb at wetlettuce.com
Mon Nov 22 19:45:19 GMT 2004

Hi Gary,

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 22:28 +0000, Gary Watts wrote:

> Hi
>
> I think I've made some progress.
>
> Telnet 192.168.3.2 25 works
>
> None of the others do though and for some reason I can't reference the PC as localhost or 127.0.0.1, so I suspect DNS has gone awry somewhere.

Check the configuration file for the SMTP server and ensure in doesn't
bind to a particular IP address.  A good way to check is to do:

# netstat -lp |grep -i smtp

This is the output of my mail server:

tcp6       0      0 *:smtp                  *:*
LISTEN     1693/exim

Notice the *:smtp means it'll respond on the SMTP port on any IP
address.

Next, check your /etc/hosts file contains the line:

127.0.0.1    localhost    localhost.localdomain

Note using IP addresses doesn't use DNS.

> I have managed to send mail out and it has arrived at it's destination, so SMTP seems to be working well enough for now.
>
> POP on port 110 is still the main problem though.

What package are you using to provide the POP3 daemon? Is it running?
Firewall appropriately set to let through packets to port 110?

If your using postfix try (for a Fedora based system):

Enable the daemon to start at system startup
# chkconfig postfix on

Start the postfix daemon right now
# service postfix start

or for a Debian based system:

# /etc/init.d/postfix start

and check it's running using:

# ps aux | grep -i postfix | grep -v grep

There's a few ideas, let us know how it goes.

Thanks
Mark

Mark Broadbent <markb at wetlettuce.com>