[Herefordshire] Demon dialup & kppp - slow to resolve, fast to transfer...?

Matt Rhys-Roberts matt.rhys-roberts at q-par.com
Tue Oct 19 09:18:54 BST 2004

Hi gang,

Please can anyone suggest why this is happening? Got Mandrake 10.1
Community and an external 56k modem; I have configured kppp to dial my
Demon Internet account, got the IP address and both DNS servers
correct etc., but it takes ages for a web address to be resolved and
then send me any data. When the data does appear, its usually pretty
fast - over 5kbps with the modem repeatably connected at 50.666k.
(Maybe it's the bad luck of the last 3 sixes that's doing it...!)

Tea and scones to whoever can enlighten me and help me get the service
I'm paying for! Naturally, Demon and their offshore tech support
centre only support Window$ and Mac.

Best regards,

Matt Rhys-Roberts
Leominster

PS THANKS for all the help I've had so far from this LUG.