[Herefordshire] Hello,I'm new here

Malcolm Herbert mherbert at redhat.com
Wed Oct 27 14:19:16 BST 2004

to upgrade packages with rpm (in most cases)  rpm -Uvh <package>. You
dont need to delete the existing package. Alternatively you can use the
online mechanisms (such as RHN) to do this (or yum or apt-get)

good sources of additional rpm packages (outside of the Fedora distro)
include the rather good. http://dag.wieers.com/packages/. Also have a
look at http://fedora.redhat.com/download/updates.html

Malcolm

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 23:07, Gary Watts wrote:
> Hi there fellow Fedora user.
>
> I'm running Fedora Core 2 and am trying to set up a secure Apache
> server with PHP/MySQL, Openssl and ASP support.  So far it's taken me
> 3 days to install all the latest versions only to find that the
> previous versions are still running!  I uninstalled (rpm -e) php,
> mysql and apache from two seperate PCs, on the basis that I would
> simply reinstall just the latest versions, and now I can't get X to
> start on either, although I've got my command line interface OK.
>
> Interesting and frustrating times ahead methinks.  I will persevere
> though - I'm the IT manager at a local firm with 25+ users and the
> problems I get with Windows servers and workstations on a daily
>
> See you soon!
>
> Gary Watts

Dr Malcolm Herbert
Manager, Client Development             GPS, Red Hat Europe
m: +44 7720 079845   w: people.redhat.com/mherbert
GPG ID:  C051F446
GPG FPR: 68AD CBDD 8EEB 63ED 0802  4B8E A5B3 EB72 C051 F446