[Herefordshire] Routing two subnets

Mark Broadbent markb at wetlettuce.com
Thu Oct 28 21:03:42 BST 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 20:43 +0100, Chris Bond wrote:

> Might have not made it clear I can route on the linux box perfectly its on a
> remote machine that where the default gateway is set to route that segment
> that it doesn't route via the linux box.

I assume your network is laid out like somewhat like:

[Box A]<---Subnet 1-->[eth? "Linux Box" eth?]<--Subnet 2-->[Box B]

Starting with basics I'll assume your attempting to ping Box B from Box
A.  The output from this would be useful, even more useful would be the
packet capture whilst your pinging Box B (using tcpdump or ethereal).
But to start with if give us the output from the 'route' command on all
the boxes (plus a corresponding 'ifconfig' [Linux] or
'ipconfig /all' [Windows]) and we can work from there.

Thanks
Mark

--
Mark Broadbent <markb at wetlettuce.com>