[Herefordshire] - Reclaiming Partition Space

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Sun Sep 5 19:16:48 BST 2004

On Sunday 05 Sep 2004 15:50, Dr Chris Owens wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> seems to do with reclaiming enough contiguous space from the Windows
> Partition where it seems there is 20GB free but peppered with immovable
> data blocks.

> visual display of used and partly used cluster blocks in Windows Drefrag
> and Ontrack Jetfrag displays show about 10 scattered 'partly used' blocks
> most of them seemingly near the end of the windows partition and in both
> programs these are depicted as 'Data that will not be moved' . Sure enough
> they are not moved - its just as though Windows has ring-fenced about 20GB
> for itself by scattering around a few immovable obstacles.
>
>     Is there a way out of this? Can or should these clusters be moved or
> deleted, if so how  and is there any way that a binary listing could help
> to clarify what they contain and whether it would be safe to delete them.

I've heard of this before, but not sure of any real answers to help. I think
you are correct in your reasoning - MS grabbing too much space along the way.
Have you tried Partition Magic ? That would probably do a better job of
shrinking your windows partition than the Mandrake installer which is
reasonable but can get stuck like this on occasion.

I have a copy of Partition Magic 8.0 if you want to borrow it if you can make
it to the next mtg.

The plan would be to repartition the drive with PT, then set mandarke installs
going. You could bring along your pc if its a laptop to the meeting - i'm
happy to help. I believe we have power and possibly even an internet
connection.

Otherwise try a web forum, and mandrake club forums ( not sure if you have to
be a member for this tho). There are lots of other free ones around the web
though.

Julian Robbins