[Herefordshire] - Reclaiming Partition Space

Dr Chris Owens cowens at clara.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 20:57:35 BST 2004

Hello everyone

Just to say how much I enjoyed my first meeting with the group and a big thank you to all of you who helped sort out my 'Partition Problems' especially Gary, Mark and Julian.  Felt a bit of prat bringing along such a dull and time consuming problem but I can see now I would never have managed it on my own. Great stuff and thanks again.

    Am still a bit stuck in getting the display right. The best I have managed is to get a few scattered icons, some on top of each other, some that are draggable leaving a trail of ghost images, others inactive, lots of grey blue mish/mash which we saw last night but now with a readable message "KDE is up and running"in amongst it - a small advance but LINUX is still not usable from a graphic interface.

    I think I need a path from the grub prompt to the root command line and then a way to get into changing the resolution and monitor settings in Drakx rather as Mark was doing at the end of the evening. This would save having to re-install Mandrake 10.0 from scratch in order to get to the post install 'Configuration Screen'  where I have to date been trying to get the right settings. Would I be right and does anyone have any ideas.   In summary it looks as though everything has installed OK but I can't get access to a usable interface to change the display settings so that the whole becomes viewable.

    Anyway many thanks to all - a very interesting and useful evening and I'm looking forward to helping the group in any way I can once I get up and running and can take things in a bit better.

    All the best

    Chris O
    Tenbury