[Herefordshire] Installing DVD-CDrom

Noel McG. herlinux at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 21 16:39:42 BST 2004

Hello Mark,

> A DVD-ROM to the O/S should be no different than a CD-ROM so _such_ behave
> the same.  When you say it tried to work, in what way?  Did the light just
> flash or did a new icon appear on the desktop.

When I first put the drive in and started up the icon appeared on the
desktop and I was able to put a dvd in and read it.
I then switched off/on to boot the dvd and it seemed to work as the mandrake
install started, but not what I wanted which was the upgrade bit.

I switched off /on and then saw that there was no icon on the desktop,
however putting a dvd in the drawer resulted in the light coming on and the
disk spinning but nothing else.

 Do you have to mount the > CD manually or is it automatic?

Dn't know,  mandrake has always found the hardware before and from the
settings that are in control panel/hardware seem to have done so again.

Outputs of the followings would be very
> useful after you have booted the computer and then put the disc in the
> drive.
> $ cat /etc/fstab
> $ dmesg
>
> Thanks
> Mark

---
This outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.